Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sam is bad with police.

It was early when I went out. I've been mostly going out early and coming home early unless I wind up at JR's. My mood last night was terrible, I was having a hard time keeping my shoulders back and head up. I decided I'd go out and make the bar rounds. I had a good little routine going. Theos, Smoke & Barrel, Brewskis, Busters, Dickson St Theater, and JR's.

I parked in my usual spot at the brick wall behind the 36 club. It's a Dickson St staple fine dining spot with lots of unattended parking. I hiked up my pants that were dragging on the heels of my converse and buttoned the lower button of my shirt in a bent over, half slump, doing a few things at the same time kinda way. I crossed paths with a tall short haired, well-groomed guy in a tie, either a frat boy or a waiter and walked passed him to Brewskis. It was a quick walk-through. I couldn't really bring myself to stick around so I turned back up the street to drop in at the theater and head home.

The theater was the same it's always been and will always be. Fri-Sat-Sun club for the Hip-Hop crowd. The music is terrible the clientele is cheap and 9/10 there's always a fight. A few quick hugs and hellos and that was it. I was done. I was on my way home just as soon as I said hi to Tori and my friends that were texting me from Smoke & Barrel. Walking back passed my car I see the frat boy from earlier. I make the patio across the street from where I'm parked before he starts calling out after me, "Hey!" I turn back to face him and I'm trying to figure out who he is, like is he one of those local kids that I should know and don't. Walking up to me he asked, "Is that black car yours?"

"Yeah, why?" and I still didn't know who the fuck he was.

"Did you scratch my car? it's the Maroon 2000 Mercury Cougar?" Oh god, it's just some high strung waiter from the 36 Club.

"What? No, I didn't scratch anything." And that was all it took for me to get all alpha and all of this to escalate. Quick explanation, when I get accused of things I get short and sound condescending and you could even say I get a little mean.

"Well you were bending down by it, why were you bending down? I think we should just hang out here and see what the cops have to say about this..."

For the next few minutes the tense dialog between us was a back and forth of me insulting his choice of cars and his obviously high strung behavior until the cops showed up. They took statements, looked at my ID, tried to say that my front bumper looked like i had hit something, just really looking for something to make this asshole waiter happy. I fielded questions, was asked why I was seen bending over by his car and I just laughed. seriously? "I don't know why I was bending over."

Cop said " that was ____ ago and you don't remember?" Of course I didn't remember, why would i care? Eventually the whole ordeal blew over after I filled out a statement pulled his note off of my car and the cops sarged off.

I can not talk to cops without seeming guilty apparently. i tried to explain that I would have no motive to do something pointless like that to someone I'd never met and that even if I had done it, why would i bother sitting around or staying parked there next to the car I'd just keyed if that was the case. I hate cops. Nothing every works out with me and police. Ever. Which made me even more glad that I was 100% sober so far. I can just imagine getting a PI or being charged for keying this guy's car if i'd been drinking.


We ended up shaking hands after the police finally left. If i hadn't made an effort to make nice it would have eaten at me for the rest of the night. He apologized and i went to have a cool down beer.

a lot of crazy "i hate cops" texting later I ended up running into my bartender friend and ex's ex BFF Tussy. We would up dancing at a club in a 'Dance off' until we would up drinking shots at Brewskis w/ their entire bar staff until about 3:30.

No comments: